how long do vape coils last and how to make them last longer
A new coil should last between one to two weeks. However, most e-liquids leave a thin film of residue when they are vaporized. This builds up on your coils or wicks and clogs your device. Some of the benefits of cleaning your vape device regularly are:
- Makes your tank and coil last longer: Regular cleaning of your vape tank and coil helps to extend their life span while irregular cleaning does the opposite.
- Better performance: Regular cleaning takes care of built-up residue that may get to the atomizer and ruin the taste of your e-liquid. The residue might also clog the air vents and lead to overheating and dry hits.
- You Get flavor: The enjoyment of vaping lies in the feel of the flavor. Cleaning your vape tanks and coils is essential to enjoying the vaping process as a clean device will deliver fresher, tastier flavors.
When to Clean Your Vape Device
Your vaping and maintenance habits after each use can either extend its lifespan or reduce it. You need to clean your device when you experience a burnt taste while using it [link to burnt taste blog post]. Another sign is whenever you experience ‘flavor ghosting’ (when traces of an old flavor affects the current one). Except when you choose to experiment with the blend of flavors.
Whether you are dedicated to one flavor or not, it is advisable to clean your device regularly. There are two types of cleaning that can be done on your vape device. The first is a quick clean (with warm water). The second is a deep clean which may require the use, unflavored alcohol like vodka.
How To Clean Your Vape Tank
Regardless of type, vaping devices all have the following as essential components:
- A Tank: The vape device tank holds the e-liquid that is converted to vapor. It is usually combined with the atomizer as a single unit.
- A Coil: This heating element converts e-liquid into vapor.
- A Battery: The power source of the unit. Some have voltage and temperature control. With box mods, the housing encloses the battery.
In order to clean your vape tank the right way (regardless of the type of cleaning), follow these steps:
- 1 Disassemble your device. Take off the top and bottom of the tank and discard any remaining e-juice. As you disassemble the device take care to remember where each piece goes. Take pictures or make videos so you do not forget. The next step can be done in two ways
- 2 Run warm water through the tank (if it's a quick clean): Hold the tank under a faucet running very warm water for 20 seconds or so. This will help rinse away residual e-juice.
- 3 Wipe with high-proof alcohol (if it’s a deep clean). Use unflavored liquor like vodka to break down stubborn e-juice deposits. Dampen a microfiber cloth or paper towel with alcohol and clean the affected areas until it is clean. You then wipe and rinse with warm water. You could also use a jewelry cleaning machine to remove stubborn deposits if it’s available.
- 4 Run A Paper Towel Through the Tank. Fit a small sheet of paper towel or small microfiber cloth into one end of the tank. Once it gets to the other end, pull it back and forth through the tank until all the residual water has been wiped away.
- 5 Air Dry. Air drying for at least ten minutes before reassembling and refilling takes care of those drops of water that the towel didn’t clean. Do not dry your tank with heat or direct sunlight as you may damage some of the parts in the process.
How To Clean Your Vape Coil
One way to improve the lifespan of your new coil and its quality of vaping is to prime it. The next thing after fixing your new coil should not be smoking. Not even when you just filled up the tank. Your next act should be to prime your vape because it properly prepares the coil for use.
It also saves you the cost of buying a new atomizer head. You see after changing your coil and all that, the wicking material inside the atomizer head remains dry because it has not soaked the vape juice that you refilled; it’s still dry. When you vape on dry cotton you run the risk of burning your atomizer head.
Your best bet is to allow the wick to get thoroughly soaked by leaving your vape device to stay upright for a considerable amount of time before vaping. Your other option is to manually soak the wicking material through the openings in the atomizer head. A few drops will do the trick. The next step is to inhale a few times without powering up the device. Give it a few more minutes and you are ready to go a-vaping
If you are interested in using your coil for as long as possible, moderate the power you use to vape so that the coil does not wear out fast. You should also moderate the frequency of vaping as it has a direct impact on the coil.
Not all vape coils can be cleaned. The coils in Pod systems cannot be cleaned. The only solution to a dirty or faulty Pod coil is a replacement. The other type is the replaceable coils which take two forms: coil heads for tanks, which are encased in a small metal chamber that contain an absorbent wick; and coils for rebuildables, where you install and wick.
Although replaceable coils can be cleaned to an extent, it’s not always the best option largely because of the fixed absorbent wicks still retain some dirt and take much longer to dry.
Cleaning your coil is simple as the list suggests:
- 1 Remove the wicks from the coils
- 2 Dry burn the coils as lightly as you can
- 3 Remove atomizer from your mod
- 4 Place the atomizer under running water while lightly brushing with a toothbrush
- 5 Rinse one more time
- 6 Dry burn the coil to remove droplets of water
How To Clean Your Vape Pen
The list shows how vape pens that do not come in one-piece designs, should be cleaned.
1 Disassemble the Pen
The first step is to unscrew the different components, starting with the heating chamber.Empty any residue in the pen into the rubbish bin
2 Brush It
Instead of using water on the pen, use a brush to clean residue or dirt in order to avoid the risk of damage that comes with the use of water.
3 Dry clean the Mouthpiece
If your mouthpiece doesn’t detach, you can use a piece of cloth made from cotton to thoroughly wipe the mouthpiece.
4 Reassemble Your Vape Pen
After cleaning and drying your device, you should screw it back together only when you are sure that the components are dry. After assembling the components, prime the coil so as not to burn it.
You may need different techniques to clean vape pens that have not to be in use for a while. This is where alcohol and a Q-Tip come in handy. The alcohol cleans even the most stubborn residue while Q-tips access the nooks and crannies in the pen. This method is ideal for cleaning the mouthpiece, rim and inner lining of your device’s chamber.
Conclusion:So far, this article has shown you the importance and benefits of regularly cleaning your vape device. It has also shown you how to clean your vape device; vape tank and vape coil. Having learned all of these things, the best way to optimize your vaping experience is to apply them.
Post by Eve Wang , 25 Mar 2019